Monday, October 18, 2010

Oops! I didn't tell you about the MOUNTAINS!

So this happened a long time ago but I needed to use a friend's photos (all photo credit to Leah)... so temporally place it before my post on the Streets of Santiago... Desperate to get out of the city air, my friends and I jumped into a blue bus and headed for the Andes, specifically Cajon de Maipo!
 At first the steep, windy mountain roads took us through villages and snow-less "ceros".
But eventually (after a bus ride an hour longer than expected) we reached the real stuff!  After being greeted by the police of Chile and signing in we were off
 Colin, who likes to assume the role of protector among our friends, watched nervously as I joyously leapt onto the narrow railing on the side of the road
 But I was fine, and, as those of you who know me would expect... EBULLIENT to be in the mountains
 Sarah, so happy she was on the verge of tears, gazed wistfully at the river below us
 And so it was
 We stopped here for lunch and played some frisbee.  Leah and I managed to get some awkward photos
 And we certainly made fools of ourselves as we walked along the road belting musicals and pop songs at the top of our lungs... "this love is difficult, but it's a RE-EAL!"
 We decided we wanted to be closer to the river, so we made our way down a loose, steep, rocky slope... it was like being at home again :), I'm not sure if everyone else found this part so comforting
 Julianne was a stoic badass as usual
 And... I was still belting musicals
 A group photo shoot was definitely in order
 Jill is so tall she doesn't need to jump
 Seriously, these people are the coolest: (from left to right: Leah, Sarah (who smiles even in serious photos), Jill, Julianne, Casey fell asleep, Cara, Colin, and myself)
Need I say more than this photo says on its own?
 After the photo shoot we headed for the water
 Where I obviously dunked my head immediately... it was FREEZING, and refreshing
 We made this giant boulder our home and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon
 We booked it back to the bus-stop (well, except to stop and take photos), 14 km in all that day, and back in time for an italian dinner with those who couldn't make it to the mountains!
 Goodbye mountains... we'll meet again, I can't stay forever in the city!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Lauren! I'm finally catching up on your blog and this post makes me miss you so much!! It sounds like you're having tons of fun. Also, it's funny seeing Casey in your pictures! Say hi for me? I love you!!

    ReplyDelete