Friday, October 8, 2010

The Streets of Santiago


I walk to class every day and wanted to share a bit about what it's like to be down in the city, since you've seen it from above now.  The picture above is about 7 blocks into my walk.  I feel like it captures best what walking around is like.  But there are also tons of small side streets:

 On many of these streets there is random and incredible street art


In the morning the streets and parks are incredibly dirty



Though there are always at least a few people per park or block who have been hired, by the government I suppose, to clean up all the trash.  (P.S. sorry my photos here aren't the best quality, I feel weird being touristy in such a Chilean part of Chile so I tried to be discreet and quick)

In some places the streets are paved, and others still use the old cobblestones.  And in some there is a mix

Mothers walk their children to school

Stray dogs and pigeons share the open spaces

And all sorts of people are always going in and out of the metro station two blocks from my house

The metro can get you to the vast majority of important places in the city

Including the business center, which looks a lot more like New York than the rest of the city

But to be honest I like my part of the city, Bario Brasil, much more.  With our many, many small cafes and local artesenal beers conversations after class are always engaging

I love the unexpected visitors that occasionally come through the neighborhood

The dogs that I'm more familiar with because I see them often

And the fading, torn signs on the buildings announcing parties, carpet cleaners, concerts, and revolutionist movements
 Ciao amigos!  Que se vaya bien!
~Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment